Great Bromley, Essex

Historical Description

Bromley, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands 3 miles SSE of Ardleigh station on the G.E.R., and 5 ½ E of Colchester, under which it has a post office; money order office, Elmstead; telegraph office, Ardleigh. The parish comprises 2996 acres; population, 699. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £677 with residence. The church is a fine building of flint, rubble, and brick, chiefly in the Perpendicular style. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. Great Bromley Lodge is a chief residence, for many years in the possession of the Unwin family. The Hall is beautifully situated close to the church, with large ornamental grounds, and a lake 3 acres in extent.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Bromley St. George
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Bromley from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Bromley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: