Great Bentley, Essex
Bentley, Great, a village and a parish in Essex. the village stands near the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R., 8 miles SE by E of Colchester, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester, and a railway station of the same name. The parish comprises 3235 acres ; population, 1008. The living is a vicarage in the diuccse of St Albans; gross yearly value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a building of red sandstone, and has a very fine Norman arch over the S door. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bentley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Tendring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Bentley from the following:
Online maps of Great Bentley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: