Great Bardfield, Essex

Historical Description

Bardfield, Great, a small town and a parish in Essex. It stands on Blackwater river, 7 miles NW of Braintree station on the G.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Braintree, a town-hall, police station, and a fair on 22 June, and is a seat of petty sessions. The parish comprises 3666 acres; population of the civil parish, 956; of the ecclesiastical, 931. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £145. The church is an ancient building of stone in mixed styles. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, a Friends' meeting-house, and some small charities.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Bardfield St. Mary
Hundred Freshwell
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Great Bardfield from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Great Bardfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: