Grays, Essex

Historical Description

Grays Thurrock or Grays, a small town and a parish in Essex. The town stands on the Thames, and on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, between Fiddler's Reach and Northfleet Hope, 3 miles WNW from Tilbury Fort, and 12 SE from Romford; consists chiefly of one street, irregularly built, extending along a small creek. A number of new streets save, however, been built since the construction of the Tilbury Docks, which are about 2 miles distant. It is a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, a head post office' of the name of Grays, and it formerly had a weekly market and two annual fairs. The town has a considerable trade in bricks, cement, and lime. It is governed by a local board of health consisting of nine members. The Ex/mouth, training ship, belonging to the Metropolitan Asylums Board, and the Shaftesbury, an industrial training ship for boys, belonging to the School Board for London, are moored off the coast here. The area of the parish is 1382 acres of land; population, 12,219. Belmont Castle, about a mile from the town, the seat of the Parker family, is a modern Gothic edifice, and stands on an eminence, amid fine grounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £175 with residence. The church, rebuilt in 1846, is a cruciform building of flint in the Early English style. A new ecclesiastical district called All Saints was formed in 1886, and an iron church erected. There are Baptist, Catholic, Congregational, Free Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, and Palmer's endowed school for boys and girls, a fine building overlooking the Thames and the Kentish hills. This school is worked under a new scheme issued by the Charity Commissioners, and the education is modern and scientific. There ½is a board of 16 governors. The manor was given, in 1194, by Richard I. to Henry de Grey.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Maps

Online maps of Grays are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: