Galleywood Common, Essex

Historical Description

Galleywood Common, an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1874 from the parishes of Great Baddow, West Hanningfield, Ohelmsford, and Orsett, Essex, 3 miles S from Chelmsford station on the G.E.R. Population, 778. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £197 with residence. The church, erected in 1873, is a building of brick and stone in the Early Decorated style. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. There is a race-course here with a grand stand.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: