Frating, Essex

Historical Description

Frating, a village and a parish in Essex, 1 ¼ mile NNW from Thorington station on the G.E.R., and 6 ESE of Colchester, with a post office under Colchester; money order office, Thorington; telegraph office, Great Bentley. Acreage, 1185; population of the civil parish, 234; of the ecclesiastical, 618. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Thorington, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net yearly value, £427 with residence. Patron, St John's College, Cambridge. The church is Early English, and very good.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Frating from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Frating are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: