Fobbing, Essex

Historical Description

Fobbing, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on a hill, near Holehaven Creek, 2 miles N of the Thames, 2½ NE by E of Stanford-le-Hope station, London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and 7½ SSE of Billericay, and was the place where Jack Cade's rebellion began. The parish comprises 2140 acres; population of the civil parish, 357 ; of the ecclesiastical, 409. It has a post office under Stanford-le-Hope (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Stanford-le-Hope. Much of the land is marshy. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £573 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church?a fine stone building, erected in the earlier part of the 15th century, stands high, has a lofty tower, and forms a conspicuous object at a great distance. Thames Haven in this parish has a branch line of the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway, and a dock used for unloading cattle for the London market. Cowper describes the adjacent scenery thus:-u Here, Thames, slow gliding through a level plain Of spacious meads, with cattle sprinkled o'er, Conducts the eye along its sinuous course, Delighted."

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Fobbing St. Michael
Hundred Barstable
Poor Law union Orsett

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Fobbing from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Fobbing are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: