Fingringhoe, Essex

Historical Description

Fingringhoe, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Roman, near its influx to the Colne, 1 ½ mile W by S of Wivenhoe station on the G.E.R., and 4 SSE of Colchester, and has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Rowhedge. The parish comprises 2558 acres of land and 433 of foreshore and water; population of the civil parish, 519; of the ecclesiastical, 661. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £150. The church, a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, has some ancient brasses and monuments. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. South Green is a hamlet 1 mile S of the village.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Fingringhoe St. George
Hundred Winstree
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Fingringhoe from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Fingringhoe are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: