Felstead or Felstead Holy Cross, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the river Chelmer, and has a station on the G.E.R., 3 ½ miles ESE of Dnnmow, and ] a. post, money order, and telegraph office under Chelmsford. The parish comprises 6408 acres of land and 18 of water; population, 1859. Bannister Green is a hamlet adjacent. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans ; gross value, £620 with residence. Patron, Earl Cowley. The church is partly Saxon, has a tower, and contains numerous ancient and interesting monuments. There is an endowed grammar school for hoys, founded in 1564 by Richard, Lord Rich. It is administered in accordance with a scheme sanctioned by the Education Department of the Charity Commission. The school is a Gothic building erected in 1864.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Felsted Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Felstead from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: