Farnham, Essex

Historical Description

Farnham, a parish in Essex, adjacent to the river Stort and the boundary with Herts, 2 miles W by N from Stansted station on the G.E.R., and 3 N from Bishop Stortford. It has a post office under Bishop Stortford; money order and telegraph office, Bishop Stortford. Acreage, 2021; population, 477. Hassobury is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, o£402 with residence. The church, which was rebuilt in 1859, is a building of flint and stone in the Early Decorated style. Hazel End is an adjacent hamlet. There is an endowed school.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Maps

Online maps of Farnham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: