Fairsted, a parish in Essex, 3 miles NW from Hatfield Peverel station on the G.E.R., and 4 WNW from Witham. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Witham. Acreage, 1963 ; population, 282. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Sfc Albans. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Norman style. The chancel belongs to the 13th century. The nave of the church was restored in 1890, when several curious paintings on the walls were discovered, which had been concealed by plaster and whitewash. There is a peal of four bells, one being of pre-Reformation date. Fullers Street and Ranks Green are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Fairstead St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Witham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fairsted from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: