Elmstead, Essex

Historical Description

Elmstead, a village and a parish in Essex. The village is divided into three hamlets-(1) The Market, which stands near the Roman Stone Street, 3 miles NE from Wivenhoe station on the G.E.R., and 4 E by N of Colchester, and has a post and money order office under Colchester; Wivenhoe is the telegraph office. (2) The Heath, about, a mile from the Market on the road to Alresford. (3) A district running close down to Wivenhoe. The parish comprises 3725 acres; population, 928. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans ; net value, £220 with residence. Patrons, Jesus' College, Cambridge. The church, situated close to the Hall, and about a mile E of the Market, is a building of stone in mixed styles, and has a very ancient wooden effigy of a knight. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Elmstead St. Anne
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Elmstead from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Elmstead are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: