East Thurrock, Essex

Historical Description

Thurrock, Little or East, a parish in Essex, 1 mile E of Grays station on the London, Tilbury, and Southend railway. It has a post and money order office under Grays; telegraph office, Grays. Acreage, 1322; population, 849. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. There are chalk pits and several remarkable chalk caves known as "Cunobelin's Gold Mines" or Daneholes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £329 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a small building of flint and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and a western tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: