East Mersea, Essex

Historical Description

Mersea, East, a parish in Essex, 1 mile WSW of Brightlingsea station on the Tendring Hundred branch of the G.E.R. by ferry, and 10 miles S by E of Colchester. It comprises the eastern part of Mersea Island, and has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, West Mersea. Acreage, 1989 ; population, 247. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £297 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church, which is an ancient building, partly of the Perpendicular and partly of the Decorated styles, dates from the 14th century, stands on a declivity near the E end of the island, has a commanding view of the sea, and consists of nave, N aisle, chancel, and N chapel, with an embattled tower. The tower serves as a landmark, and was formerly surmounted by a beacon.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish East Mersea St. Edmund
Hundred Winstree
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for East Mersea from the following:


Maps

Online maps of East Mersea are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: