Earls Colne, Essex
Colne, Earl's or Great, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Colne, adjacent to the Colne Valley branch of the G.E.R., 1 mile NE from Colne railway station, and 3 ½ miles SE by E of Halstead, and it has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Earl's Colne, under Halstead. The parish comprises 2965 acres; population, 1720. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Abingdon, was founded here in the time of Henry I., by Aubrey de Vere, and given at the dissolution to the Earl of Oxford. A seat of the Earls of Oxford called Hall Place, with a park of 700 acres, also was here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £320. The church was built in 1532, has a tower, partly of flint, and contains monuments of the De Veres, removed to it from the priory. There are Baptist and Quaker chapels, a literary institute with reading-room, a free grammar-school, and six almshouses. There are large agricultural implement works here, giving employment to about 200 men, a silk winding factory, some mailings, and brick and tile works.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Earl's Colne St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Halstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Earls Colne from the following:
Online maps of Earls Colne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: