Dengie, Essex

Historical Description

Dengie, a village and a parish in Essex, lying on the coast, 3 miles NE from Southminster station on the G.E.R., and 6 NE from Burnham. Post town, Maiden; money order and telegraph office, Tillingham. Acreage, 2821 of land and 2128 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 279. The land is marshy, but was famous in Camden's time as dairy pasture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans ; value, £588 with residence. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Decorated style. The parish gives name to the hundred and petty sessional division of Dengie.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Dengie St. James
Hundred Dengie
Poor Law union Maldon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Dengie from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Dengie are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: