Dedham, Essex

Historical Description

Dedham, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, in a fine valley at the boundary with Suffolk, 2t miles N of Ardleigh station on the G.E.R., and 3 ¼ W by N of Manningtree, consists chiefly of one street and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) There is a bank and a village club. It was mentioned at Domesday, had a great clothing trade in the time of Richard II., and was long a market-town. The parish comprises 2568 acres; population, 1685. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; value, £132 with residence. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is a large building of brick and rubble in the Perpendicular style, with a fine tower. A lectureship rectory, endowed by Burkitt the commentator, is a separate benefice, and is vested in trustees., who act in accordance with a scheme sanctioned by the Charity Commissioners in 1870. It is of the yearly value of £500 with residence. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels, almshouses for thirty-two poor persons, and several small charities. There was formerly a royal free grammar school founded in 1571, which has now been closed by order of the Charity Commissioners. Stouy House, Dalethorp (late The Rookery), Hill House, Lower Park, Stoneylands, Hillands, and Highlands are chief residences.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Dedham St. Mary
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Dedham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Dedham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: