Crossing, Essex

Historical Description

Crossing, a village and a parish in Essex, adjacent to the river Brain, 1 mile W from Bulford station on the G.E.R., and 3 ½ miles SE of Braintree. There is a post and money office under Braintree; telegraph office, Braintree. Acreage, 1 2595; population of the civil parish, 620; of the ecclesiastical, 567. A commandery or preceptory of the Knights-Templars, afterwards of the Knights-Hospitallers, was at dressing Temple. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; value, £155 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Witham. The church, which is a small building of flint and stone in the Perpendicular style, has the monument of a Nevill, and a brass, and is very good.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Cressing All Saints
Hundred Witham
Poor Law union Braintree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Crossing from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: