Copford, Essex

Historical Description

Copford, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Roman, 1 ½ mile E of Marks-Tey station on the G.E.R., and 4 miles WSW of Colchester, with a post office under Colchester ; money order and telegraph office, Marks-Tey. Acreage, 2135; population of the civil parish, 693 ; of the ecclesiastical, 749. The manor belonged formerly to the Bishops of London. Copford Hall is the seat of the Harrisons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £600. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church has a Norman apse, and is good. There is a Friends' meeting-house and a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Copford from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Copford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: