Colne Wakes, Essex

Historical Description

Colne-Wakes, a village and a parish in Essex, on the river Colne and the Colne-Valley branch of the G.E.R., ½ of a mile W from Chappel Junction station, and 6 miles ESE of Halstead, with a post and telegraph office under .Halstead ; money order office, Chappel. Acreage, 2059 ; population, 507. Wakes Hall is the old manor house. Cropping Hall is an old moated house. The living is a rectory in tha diocese of St Albans; value, £310 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church Is a plastered building chiefly in the Norman style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Wakes Colne All Saints
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Colne Wakes from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: