Colne Engaine, Essex

Historical Description

Colne-Engaine, a village and a parish in Essex. The village occupies a rising ground on the left side of the river Colne, half a mile WNW of Colne station on the Colne Valley railway, and 2 ¼ miles ESE of Halstead, and has a post office of the name of Colne-Engaine, under Halstead; money order and telegraph office, Earls Colne. The parish comprises 2429 acres; population, 522. The manor belonged anciently to the Engaines. Colne Park is a principal residence and seat of the Reeve family, and near it is a lofty Ionic column by Soane. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; value, £800. Patron, the lord mayor and commonalty of London as Governors of Christ's Hospital. The church is a building of brick and stone in the Gothic style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Engain Colne St. Andrew
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Colne Engaine from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Colne Engaine are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: