Colchester, Essex

Historical Description

Colchester, a municipal and parliamentary borough, port, market-town, head of a county court district, and military depot in Essex. The town stands on the river Colne, 52 miles NE from London by rail and 16½ SW from Ipswich. It is a principal station on the G.E.R., by means of which line it has communication with London and also with Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge, Yarmouth, Norwich, and with Harwich, Walton-on-the-Naze, Clacton-on-Sea, &c.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Colchester

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Colchester from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Colchester are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: