Chrishall, Essex

Historical Description

Chrishall, a parish in Essex, 5 miles W of Audley-End station on the G.E.R., and 7 W of Saffron-Walden. It has a post office under Royston; money order and telegraph office, Heydon. Acreage, 2789; populatton, 547. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £194 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient building of flint, has a canopied brass of the 14th century, and two other brasses. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. Bilden End and Chrishall Grange are adjacent hamlets.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Chrishall Holy Trinity
Hundred Uttlesford
Poor Law union Saffron-Walden

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Chrishall from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Chrishall are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: