Chickney, Essex

Historical Description

Chickney, a parish in Essex, 4 miles NE of Elsenham station on the G.E.R., and 3 ½ SW of Thaxted. Post town, Dunmow; money order and telegraph office, Henham. Acreage, 713 ; population, 35. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, annexed to the vicarage of Broxted in 1889 ; joint net yearly value, £292 with residence. The church is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Chickney St. Mary
Hundred Dunmow
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Chickney from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Chickney are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: