Chappel, Chapel, or Pontisbright, a village and a parish in Essex, on the Colne river, 7 ¼ miles NW from Colchester. There is a station on the Colne Valley and Stour Valley branch of the G.E.R., and a post and money order office under Halstead; telegraph office, Wakes Colne. Acreage, 1149 ; population, 369. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £93 with residence. The church (for the first 200 years of its existence a chapel of ease to Great Tey) is a small structure of stone, originally built in 1352. The village was constituted an independent parish in 1533. The ecclesiastical commissioners are now the impropriators.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chapel from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: