Canvey Island, Essex
Canvey Island, a civil and ecclesiastical parish formed in 1881 in Essex, encircled by the Thames, opposite the Hope, 2 miles SW of Benfleet station on the London, Tilbury, and Sonthend railway, and 4 ½ SW of Bayleigh. It formerly comprised parts of Vauge, Pitsea, Bowers-Gifford, North Benfleet, South Benfleet, Hadleigh, Laindon, Prittlewell, and South-church parishes. It has a post office under South Benfleet, which is the money order and telegraph office. Area, 4383 acres of land and 4923 of water; population, 342. The surface is marsh-land sheep pasture, and it is protected all round by embankment, and connected with the mainland by a causeway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £220 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a wooden building erected in 1875. There is also a coastguard station.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Canvey Island from the following:
Online maps of Canvey Island are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: