Canewdon, Essex

Historical Description

Canewdon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on the river Crouch, 3 ½ miles NNE of Rochford, and 6 ½ N of Southend railway stations. It has a post office under Rochford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office,. Rochford. Canute the Dane held his court here, and the name Canewdon is a corruption of Canute's Town. A Roman station also was here, and several Roman urns and a torso have been found.- The parish includes part of Wallasea, formerly an islaud, but now joined to the mainland. Acreage, 5239 ; population, 597. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £289 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is Later English, has a massive tower, and is very good. There is a Congregational chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Canewdon St. Nicholas
Hundred Rochford
Poor Law union Rochford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Canewdon from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Canewdon are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: