Buttsbury, Essex

Historical Description

Buttsbury, a parish in Essex, on the river Wid, 3 miles SE of Ingatestone station on the G.E.R., and 6 ½ SSW of Chelmsford. Post town, Ingatestone, which is the telegraph office; money order office. Stock. Acreage, 2113; population, 507. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Ingatestone, in the diocese of St Albans. The church is a small but ancient building of brick and plaster in the Perpendicular style.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Buttsbury St. Mary
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Buttsbury from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Buttsbury are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: