Bures St Mary, Essex

Historical Description

Bures-St-Mary, a parish in the counties of Essex and Suffolk, on the river Stour, with a station on the G.E.R., 5 miles SSE of Sudbury. It contains the hamlet of Bures. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 2574 ; population of the civil parish, 906 ; of the ecclesiastical, 1404. Edmund, king of East Anglia, was crowned here. The site of his coronation is known as St Edmund's Hill on the Sudbury Road. The living is a vicarage, united with Bures Hamlet, in the diocese of Ely; net yearly value, £260 with residence. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1865; the chancel was internally restored and beautified in 1891. Malting and brickmaking are carried on, and there is also a lanyard.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: