Bures, a township in the Essex part of Bures-St-Mary parish, which is for the most part in Suffolk, lies on the river Stour, with a station on the G.E.R., 5 miles SSE from Sudbury. Colchester is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Bures-St-Mary. Acreage, 1846; population, 500. Mailing and brickmaking are carried on.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bures St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bures from the following:
Online maps of Bures are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: