Buckhurst Hill, Essex
Buckhurst Hill, an ecclesiastical district in Chigwell civil parish, Essex, on the G.E.R., containing about 150 acres of Epping Forest, 10 miles NE of London. It is situated in some of the highest land in the neighbourhood of the forest, over which it commands extensive views, and has a station of the same name on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) It was constituted a rectory in 1860. Population, 4130. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £400 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Chigwell. The church, a modern structure in Early English style, was first erected in 1837 and enlarged in 1864,1879, and in 1892. The tower, with spire, was erected in 1879, and contains two bells. The mission church of St Stephen, built of brick in 1876, provides for the residents on the east side of the G.E.R. There are a Baptist, a Wesleyan, and two Congregational chapels, also a place of worship used by the Plymouth Brethren.
Online maps of Buckhurst Hill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: