Broomfield, Essex

Historical Description

Broomfield, a parish in Essex, on the river Chelmer, near the G.E.R., 2 miles N of Chelmsford, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 2332; population of the civil parish, 898; of the ecclesiastical, 821. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £218 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a spacious building, with a large round tower.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Broomfield St. Mary
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Chelmsford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Broomfield from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Broomfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: