Bradwell, Essex

Historical Description

Bradwell, Bradwell-near-the-Sea, or Bradwell-juxta-Mare, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands near the point of the peninsula between the Blackwater estuary and the sea, 7 miles NE from Southminster station on the G.E.R., and 5 ½ by water or 15 by road from Maldon. It has a post and money order office under Southminster; telegraph office, Tillingham. It occupies the site of the Roman Othona and the Saxon Ithancestre. The parish comprises 5012 acres of land and 5620 of water and foreshore ; population, 914. There is a little trade in corn and coal, and a coastguard station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £800 with residence. The church has some interesting brasses and monuments. There is also a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Bradwell-near-the-Sea St. Thomas the Apostle
Hundred Dengie
Poor Law union Maldon

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bradwell from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bradwell are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: