Bradfield, Essex

Historical Description

Bradfield, a village and a parish in Essex, on the estuary of the Stour, and on the Manningtree and Harwich branch of the G.E.R., 3 miles E by S of Manningtree. There is a station on the railway, and a post office under Manningtree; money order and telegraph office, Mistley. Acreage of parish, 2152, with 553 of foreshore and water; population of the civil parish, 736; of the ecclesiastical, including Mistley, 2375. Bradfield Lodge, Jacques Hall, and Stour Lodge are chief residences. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Mistley, in the diocese of St Albans; joint net value, £708 with residence. The church, a structure of brick, was restored in 1840. There are also Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Bradfield St. Lawrence
Hundred Tendring
Poor Law union Tendring

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bradfield from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Bradfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: