Boxted, Essex

Historical Description

Boxted, a parish in Essex, on the river Stour, 2 miles ESE of Nayland, and 4 N of Colchester station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office under Colchester; telegraph office, Nayland. Acreage, 3166 of land and 11 of water; population, 769. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £177 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church has a curious monument of Sir Richard Blackmore, and is very good. There is also a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Boxted St. Mary
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Boxted from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: