Borley, Essex

Historical Description

Borley, a parish in the county of Essex, on the verge of the county, at the river Stour, 3 miles NW of Sudbury station, and 1 ½ mile from Long Melford station on the G.E.R. It has a post and money order office, of the name of Borley Green, under Sudbury, which is the telegraph office. Acreage, 795 ; population, 195. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Alban's; net value, £160 with residence. The church is a small building of the 13th or 14th century.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Sudbury

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Borley from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Borley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: