Blackmore, Essex

Historical Description

Blackmore, a parish in Essex, 1 ½ miles ESE of Chipping-Ongar station on the G.E.R., and 4 NW by W of Ingatestone, under which it has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 2588; population, 599. An Augustinian priory was founded on the site of the manor house by the De Sampfords, in the time of Henry II.; passed, under Cardinal Wolsey, to his colleges at Oxford and Ipswich, and afterwards to Waltham Abbey, and was given at the dissolution to Robert Smith. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £126. The church belonged to the priory, and is ancient, small, and good. There is also a Baptist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Blackmore St. Lawrence
Hundred Chelmsford
Poor Law union Ongar

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Blackmore from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Blackmore are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: