Birchanger, Essex

Historical Description

Birchanger, a parish in Essex, on the G.E.R., 2 ½ miles NE of Bishops-Stortford, under which it has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Stansted Mountfitchet. Acreage, 1066; population, 469. An hospital was founded here by Richard de Newport in the time of King John. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £214 with residence, in the gift of New College, Oxford. The church is a small building of flint, in the Norman and Early English styles.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Birchanger St. Mary
Hundred Uttlesford
Poor Law union Bishop-Stortford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Birchanger from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Birchanger are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: