Birch, Essex

Historical Description

Birch, a parish in Essex, 3 ½ miles SE of Marks-Tey station on the G.E.R., and 5 SW of Colchester. It comprises two ancient parishes, Great Birch and Little Birch, now united, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Colchester. Acreage, 3413 of land and 11 of water; population of the civil parish, 869; of the ecclesiastical parish of Great and Little Birch, 799. Birch Hall is a fine country seat standing in beautiful grounds. There are remains of a small castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £59 8 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans (two appointments) and the Round family (one appointment) alternately. The church of Great Birch is good, that of Little Birch is in ruins.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Birch St. Peter
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Birch from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Birch are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: