Belchamp Walter, Essex

Historical Description

Belchamp-Walter, a parish in Essex, on a small affluent of the river Stour, 4 miles W of Sudbury station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Sudbury, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2194; population, 514. Belchamp Hall is the seat of the Raymonds, and contains an interesting collection of pictures. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Bulmer, in the diocese of St Albans. The church is a neat high edifice, and contains tombs of the Raymonds. It dates from the Perpendicular period, and the tower contains a very fine peal of 8 bells.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Belchamp-Walter St. Mary
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Sudbury

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Belchamp Walter from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Belchamp Walter are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: