Belchamp Otton, Essex

Historical Description

Belchamp-Otton, a parish in Essex, on a small affluent of the river Stour, 4 miles SE from Clare station on the G.E.R., and 6 W by N of Sudbury. Post town, Clare, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1737 ; population, 293. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £300 with residence. The church is good, and there is a Methodist chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Belchamp-Otton St. Ethelbert and All Saints
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Sudbury

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Belchamp Otton from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: