Barnston, or Bimston, Essex

Historical Description

Barnston, or Bimston, a parish in Essex, on the river Chelmer, 2 miles SE of Dunmow station on the G.E.R., and 7 ¼ WSW of Braintree. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office at Dunmow. Acreage, 1349 ; population of the civil parish, 166 ; of the ecclesiastical, 147. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £314 with residence. The church is Norman. The parish is very ancient, and is mentioned in the Domesday Survey.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Dunmow
Poor Law union Dunmow

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Barnston, or Bimston from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: