Ashen, Essex

Historical Description

Ashen, a parish in Essex, on the verge of the county, bounded by the river Stour, 2 ½ miles SW of Clare, and 1 SE of Stoke station on the G.E.R. Post town, Clare, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1500; population, 215. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £200. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is a building of stone in the Early English style. The chancel was rebuilt in 1858 and a vestry added.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Hinckford
Poor Law union Risbridge

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ashen from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Ashen are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: