Arkesden, Essex

Historical Description

Arkesden, a village and a parish in Essex, on an affluent of the river Cam, 3 miles SW of Audley End station on the G.E.R., and 5 SW of Saffron-Walden. Post town, Newport, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Clavering. Acreage, 2181; population, 341. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Alban's; value, £70 with residence. the church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin, is a large building of flint and stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, and has some very ancient monuments. There is a Wesleyan chapel,

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Arkesden St. Mary
Hundred Uttlesford
Poor Law union Saffron-Walden

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Arkesden from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Arkesden are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: