Alphamstone, a parish in Essex, near the river Stour, 3 miles WNW of Bures station on the G.E.R., and 5 ½ S of Sudbury. Post town, Bures St Mary (under Colchester), which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1709 ; population of the civil parish, 231; of the ecclesiastical, 214. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £348 with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor. The church is a structure with a very deep chancel built of flint and stone. The walls of the other parts of the church are built of rubble and brick, and are very thick. There are two piscinae, a Lady chapel, a leper window, and three bells, all having Roman Catholic inscriptions.
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Alphamstone from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Alphamstone are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: