Aldham, Essex

Historical Description

Aldham, a village and a parish in Essex, near Colne river, 1 mile N of Marks Tey station on the G.E.R., and 5 miles ENE of Coggleshall, with a post and money order office under Colchester; telegraph office, Marks Tey. Acreage, 1865; population, 449, entirely agricultural. The manor belonged to the De Veres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £303 with residence. The church is dedicated to St Margaret and St Catherine, and possesses a perfect 14th century porch, which is much admired. The parish includes the hamlet of Ford Street. Morant the historian was rector of Aldham.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Hundred Lexden
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Aldham from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Aldham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: