Abberton, Essex

Historical Description

Abberton, a parish in Essex, on the river Roman, 5 miles south of Colchester, and 2 ½ SW of Wivenhoe station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Colchester; money order and telegraph office, Rowhedge. Acreage, 1068; population of the civil parish, 252. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; yearly value, £238 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is plain but good, and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Essex
Ecclesiastical parish Abberton St. Andrew
Hundred Winstree
Poor Law union Lexden and Winstree

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Abberton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Abberton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: