Willington, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Brancepeth parish, Durham. The village stands on the Durham and Bishop Auckland railway, 5 miles N of Bishop Auckland, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), and a railway station. The township is governed by a district council, and comprises 1452 acres; population, 5107. Viscount Boyne is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There are extensive collieries and several coke ovens. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1858. Population, 6850. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £225 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Brancepeth. The church is good, and was enlarged and restored in 1869 and 1873. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and embattled western tower. There are Roman Catholic, Presbyterian, Wesleyan, Primitive, and New Connexion Methodist chapels, a colliery literary institute, a church institute, a police station, and a cemetery formed in 1881.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: