Waldridge, a township in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham, 5 ½ miles N by W of Durham, and 2 ½ from Chester-le-Street station on the N.E.R. There is a post and money order office of the name of Waldridge Colliery, under Chester-le-Street; telegraph office, Chester-le-Street. Acreage, 752; population, 1961. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. There are a mission church erected in 1886, Primitive Methodist and Methodist New Connexion chapels, and an extensive colliery.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Chester-le-Street|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Waldridge from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Online maps of Waldridge are available from a number of sites:
Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: