Seaton Carew, Durham
Seaton Carew, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Stranton parish, and within the borough of West Hartlepool, Durham. The village stands on the coast, 2 miles S by E of West Hartlepool, is a sea-bathing resort, with firm level sands 5 miles long, commands fine views to Hartlepool and nearly to Whitby, surrounds three sides of a green, with the fourth side open to the sea, includes to the S a long line of houses facing the sea, has a station on the N.E.R., and a head post office. The township comprises 2655 acres of land, and 1386 of water and foreshore; population, 2388; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1440. Vestiges of Roman buildings are occasionally found in the sands. Eemains of fortifications built in 1667 to defend the mouth of the Tees, are on the small promontory of Seaton Snook, 1 ½ mile SSE of the village. There are a temperance hall, good golf links, a club house enlarged in 1893, and a lifeboat station. Salmon fishing is largely carried on, and there is a brewery. The Seaton Carew Ironworks are situated in the township. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £145 with residence. The church was built in 1831, is in the Early English style, consists of chancel, nave, and embattled western tower with pinnacles, and was restored in 1891. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a Friends' meeting-house.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the entry for Seaton-Carew from Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: